California 4-Year University Requirements
All students who are interested in entering a CSU or UC straight after high school must complete specific course requirements known as A-G.
A CHS A-G list can be found here.
- History / Social Science (2 years) "A"
Two years of history/social science, including one year of world history, cultures and geography; and one year of US history, or one-half year of US history AND one-half year of American government.
- English (4 years) "B"
Four years of college-preparatory English. If taking ESL-type classes, only the highest year can be counted towards this requirement.
- Math (3 years required; 4 years recommended) "C"
Three years of college preparatory mathematics; the minimum pattern is Algebra I, Geometry, and Algebra II. Math courses taken in the 7th and 8th grades that the student’s high school accepts as equivalent to its own may be used to fulfill a part of this requirement.
- Laboratory Science (2 years required; 3 years recommended) "D"
Two years of laboratory science in at least two of these three subjects: biology, chemistry, and physics.
- Language Other than English (2 years required; 3 years recommended) "E"
Two years of the same language other than English. Courses taken in the 7th and 8th grades may be used to fulfill part of this requirement if the student’s high school accepts them as equivalent to its own courses.
- Visual and Performing Arts (1 year) "F"
A single yearlong visual or performing arts class such as dance, drama, music, or visual art (drawing, painting, etc.).
- College Preparatory Elective (1 year) "G"
One year chosen from additional "A-F" courses beyond those used to satisfy the requirements above, or courses that have been approved elective classes.
- School Profile
- 21/22 Course Requests
- Course Catalog
- CHS Graduation Requirements
- High School Planning
- California 4-Year University Requirements
- Community College Concurrent Enrollment
- Career Exploration
- College Bound Athletes
- College Visit
- Common Application
- SAT and ACT
- Scholarship Dates & Deadlines
- Student Wellness Resources
- Transcript Requests
- Freshman Research Paper
- Sophomore Holocaust Paper
- Junior Research Paper - Contemporary Issues
- Senior Project
- Bilingual Support
- District Departments